Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Education - How to fix higher education and student debt

I learned everything I know by self study, and I rose to the corporate director level, as well as made significant contributions to technology including three patents as a non-degree engineer, all as a high school drop out. A key problem is that there is no established way for an individual to prove the level of knowledge achieved by self teaching, and employers want a simple litmus test, x year degree in whatever at accredited university (ranked by reputation). As the rate of change in all areas of knowledge continues to grow exponentially, any degree becomes less and less of a true measure of knowledge, and of course the knowledge obtained quickly becomes obsolete without continuing self study and experience. And so the resume and salary history become the proof of ability that potential employers need later in a career. But there is no profit in simply testing for knowledge, testing can be done with software, as long as some safeguards against fraud are in place. No campus, classrooms, teachers or administrators are needed. Tuition has risen because of the availability of easy credit for student loans, unintended consequences of government regulation. I recognize that many individuals do need the college environment and teaching assistance to learn, and that getting through a degree program demonstrates the ability to function in a way that may be relevant to job performance in the corporate world. But there are many counter examples of those who have made enormous contributions to society and science while not completing the traditional educational process. Einstein, Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg to name just a few. The future demands a recognized method for obtaining the equivalent of any degree by simple testing at low cost. And those who can do this without a formal education will benefit enormously as will society. And non-traditional methods of learning will flourish, as I believe they should. Before the Internet, I had to go to a college library to do research. Those days are long gone, but the higher educational system has not changed very much. A simple requirement that universities offer course material outlines and testing online at little or no cost would create opportunity without the burden of loan debt. Pass a set of tests and a degree is awarded to those who can teach themselves.

3 comments:

  1. I too am a self taught technologist. Some evening coursework at SF State, UC Berkeley Extension, and more recently online tutorials have helped. But the cartons of obsolete technical books that have accumulated in the garage testify to the need for continuous learning.

    Even with nearly 30 years in software, when I'm interviewing, prospective employers notice the absence of a degree. As if a computer science degree circa 1974 would qualify me to do the work they need done.

    So self tests for self learners sounds good.

    But one of the things I do at the companies I work in is recruiting. And I have found that PhD computer science grads and Sun-certified Java Architects are often equally ill equipped to deliver high quality software in a real world setting.

    I agree that education costs are way out of whack. And that smart people with imagi.ations have more potential than unimaginative people with costly diplomas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I'm one of those folks, Keith, who needed the discipline college demanded to learn how to study. Now I enjoy working on stuff on my own (ref previous post on fb). Of particular interest is developing my understanding of harmony. I don't think that you can learn, for instance, how to effectively use dominant substitute scales without a lot of trial and error, i.e. noodling. I'm currently playing in a big band with a bunch of retired music teachers. They all read better than I ever will, but their improvisation skills (and tone developed on their instruments) are only modest. Only a few of these guys gig - so important if you want to cement the stuff you learn. So there's learning and then there's knowing. And then, as Craig says, there's applying that knowlege creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I finally figured out how to comment on the comments, google doesn't make it intuitive.
    @Craig, you are much like me maybe it's genetic. I once hired a PhD and was very dissapointed, the degree did not indicate a useful employee.
    @Andy, I understand about needing the disipline. I think the most important requirement for self teaching is a strong desire to learn. It is hard work, and motivation is essential or it just does not happen. And your point about trial and error is a good one. That's how you learn what really works and it is often not what you first thought, or what the text book said.

    ReplyDelete